The First Presbyterian Church of Atmore was organized on October 2, 1921 with 17 charter members. The first church building was constructed around 1928. A Women of the Church organization was formed in January 1954, with 22 members, and a church school program was begun for all ages.
In 1958 an educational building and extensive remodeling of the sanctuary were completed. Men of the Church organized in 1959, the same year a youth group began. An addition to the educational building, which doubled the original space, was begun in March 1977. New stained glass windows were installed in the sanctuary in August 1980, and a generous gift from the Neal Trust and a legacy from Mrs. J. Dugald Crosby, one of the charter members, made extensive remodeling possible in 1982. Wind damage related to Hurricane Erin in 1995 sparked the most recent renovation, which included the construction of a new fellowship hall and Sunday school facility.
On October 12, 1996, the church was admitted to membership in the Presbyterian Church in America.